This is the way my Grandma Bell in North Carolina made biscuits... on top of the stove... She made cornbread that way too... sometimes she baked the biscuits in the oven, but not often. I never remember her making cornbread in the oven and she made cornbread just about every day... And her cornbread NEVER had sugar in it... Sometimes she used milk so sour and (seemingly to me) rotten that i was afraid we might die... (But I ate them, they were delicious! And all of us grandkids are still living!) She was in her 90's when she passed on.
My mom makes biscuits this way too. Not all the time... She makes cornbread on top of the stove like this too... She has greatly varied that cornbread recipe, with jalapeno peppers and onions and cheese... Sometimes she bakes it in the oven, but more often than not it is just like these biscuits were made...
And I have followed in their footsteps... I sometimes bake in the oven, but somehow I just like the biscuits and cornbread made this way best.
Sunday, March 8, 2009
Biscuits made the old fashioned way...
Labels:
biscuits,
cooking,
cornbread,
generations,
grandmothers,
mothers,
vintage cookware
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love biscuits, I'm always looking for the perfect recipe, these look so good!
ReplyDelete